
It is almost unbelievable that it has been a year since we received the tragic news of Seth's death. Some people don't understand the importance it played in our lives. Seth was a son to Robbie. He wasn't just a great football player, a great student, someone that everyone liked but he was that kid you want your daughter to marry. Robbie becomes very attached to his players. They honestly become sons to him. They are his stripling warriors. He is trying to teach them to be great football players, but more importantly he is teaching them how to be great young men and how to be successful beyond the football field. He taught them a lot this past year in respects to how to deal with loss and suffering and being able to move on.
A year ago, I was coming back from somewhere(it is interesting that I can remember exactly where on the freeway I was but I have no idea where I was coming from) and I got a call on my cell from a dear friend, telling me that Seth was missing at their cabin in Bear Lake and that they couldn't find him. She was really distraught and so I didn't get a lot of info from her just enough to know that I needed to have Robbie call her. He wasn't picking up his phone. Rob was in Utah county helping his brother put in sprinklers in their new house. Of course his brothers phone number was new and I had no idea what it was. I am frantically driving on the freeway(I would advise pulling over but all I could think about was getting a hold of Robbie) calling 411 and getting my brother in laws number and having to make a horrible call to Robbie telling him that Seth was missing. He thought I was joking at first and I told him again and honestly you could just hear the air leave and it felt like time stopped. Robbie told me later that it was one of the most agonizing hours of his life driving home not knowing anymore details. Literally he walked in the door, plugged his phone in and then stood at the counter for the next 4 or 5 hours talking to people. Making sure everyone was OK. His players, Seth's parents, the boys that had been with Seth, their parents. I have always known that Robbie was special but in that few hours my admiration for him grew exponentially. He was grieving so much and yet he needed to be strong for people. I realized at that moment that it was my job to be watchful of him and to make sure that he was OK.
We have had some amazing experiences come out of Seth's death. We were able to go to the temple that week with his family when they took out his endowments. That honestly was one of the most sacred experiences I have had. I am so thankful that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and know that there is a life after this one. It is comforting to know that life goes on and that it doesn't end with death. What a blessing the gospel is in my life.
3 comments:
great post- I have chills reading about that day....
robbie was so good with the boys on the football team. he has really made an impression on my son. Robbie is the only reason he got to play football at all- my thoughts & prayers go out to you & seth's friends and family at this tough time.
I am too thankful for the gospel.
It is hard to believe it has been a year. What a touching post.
Robbie is such a great leader and example to all the boys that come into contact with him. As the Primary President and a mom I could not ask for a better Primary teacher and example for my sons and the other children in our Primary. Thanks for sharing him.
The Gunters are AWESOME!!! Thanks for this post, so tender. I enjoyed the article also. I would have missed it and really enjoyed it.
Love you guys :)
Post a Comment