Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's 3AM do you know where your Husband is??

So this weekend Robbie ran (OK I was suppose to as well but I baled out the week before because of my knee and really I am not whining but I am) the Ragnar Wasatch Back. There were almost 600 teams of 12 member relays. Each relay team had 2 suburbans of 6 people. It was pure craziness. The relay is from Logan to Park City and is 180 miles in 24 hours (Robbie's team took 29 hours to finish. Some elite teams took 17 hours). Each person in the relay runs 3 legs between 3-9 miles. Robbie had leg 1 which was pretty tough.

Robbie in his helmet at the starting line with Cam his brother.
He looks like a real Viking.
This was the Gunter suburban-Jamie (sis-in-law), Cam(Robbie's brother), Robbie, Matt(Jamie's brother) Heather(Jamies friend) and Melanie(Heather's sis-in-law).
Robbie started the 1st leg and got to run through Logan. Vickie (Rob's mom) was there cheering on her awesome kids.
I watched Robbie finish his second leg. This run had a mile straight up to Snowbasin and then 7.5 miles all the way down to Mountain Green. He was really running strong especially for his 2nd leg.

He handed off to Jamie and she took off like a crazy woman with a mission. It seriously was one of the funnest things I have ever seen. People decorated their suburban and wore costumes. It was truly an experience.

Britton and I were lucky and got to volunteer at leg 23. We had to be there at 9:30pm and we did not see one runner until 12:30 and then it was almost an hour before more started trickling in. Our shift was over at 2am and just when we left quite a few runner were on there way into the hand off area. Britton crashed as soon as he stopped talking(Ever since Brit was little when he got tired he would talk continuously and then just stop and he would be sound asleep. He is still like that).Robbie's team crossed the finish line at about 3:30pm the next day. This is him about a minute before he konked out.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Awesome Robbie. What a long day/night. According to Steve I do the same thing that Britt does at night...

Whetton Family said...

That is awesome! That is quite an accomplishment! My father and sister in law also ran in that. my husbands' whole fam ran in the other one you guys did a little bit ago. kinda crazy!